6.5 C
London
Saturday, December 3, 2022

Why stop using scented candles in your home. You’re exposing yourself to health danger

Long before the invention of the light bulb, candles and lamps were the main sources of light in people’s homes.

Nowadays, candles are very popular as decorations and are made in many different forms and with many different fragrances. Specialists, however, warn against the excessive use of this type of product. Find out below why you should stop using scented candles in your home.

Why you should stop using scented candles in your home

Have you ever wondered what science says about scented candles, which are all the rage these days? There is much debate about their toxicity. In general, scientists believe that such products should not be used in the home at all. And that’s because the process of burning candles is harmful to health.

According to several analyses carried out by researchers, most scented candles are made from paraffin wax. This type of wax is made from petroleum as a by-product of gasoline production. A 2009 study showed that burning paraffin wax releases chemicals that are potentially harmful to the human body. One example is toluene.

Burning candles release volatile organic compounds and particulate matter into the air. These tiny particles can easily enter the lungs. Scientists have expressed concern about the development of heart and lung problems due to prolonged exposure to these particles.

As for volatile organic compounds, they quickly turn into gas when they come into contact with the air in the room in which the candles are placed. Some of these are potentially carcinogenic, according to experts.

What are the risks if you burn scented candles

Scented candles can release formaldehyde. This volatile organic compound can significantly increase the risk of developing cancer. It should be noted, however, that despite all the studies done on this issue, further analysis is needed to know exactly what impact they have on health.

In addition, some people may develop allergic reactions to scented candles. Among the main symptoms that may occur are sneezing, runny nose and blocked sinuses.

On the other hand, scented candles that are made from soy produce less soot. They also release fewer toxic substances, according to Healthline. At least compared to those made from paraffin. Even if the smoke seems somewhat cleaner, it is recommended to burn candles only at special occasions, and avoid frequent use.

Latest articles

Popular

Related news