If you want to bake bread but do not have yeast at home, here is a very simple recipe you can try.
You do not need too many ingredients and you will be done in no time!
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 500 ml beer (light or brown) at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 380 g flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
The type of beer you use does not make a huge difference, but if you want lighter, not very strong-tasting bread, it is definitely better to choose a light beer. If you use brown beer, the bread will be more aromatic, and slightly bitter. It is important to use room temperature beer, so you should remove it from the fridge at least an hour before you start mixing the ingredients.
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Prepare a 23 x 13 cm, 6 cm high baking tray: spread well with butter or cover with baking paper (the edges of the baking tray should be covered at least 2 centimeters high).
2. Melt the butter in steam, over a low flame or in the microwave.
3. Mix the wet ingredients: the beer, honey, and melted butter.
4. Add the flour, baking powder and salt, then mix well with a wooden spoon. You should mix only until you obtain a homogeneous mass, as otherwise the dough will turn too hard.
5. Place the dough in the baking tray and flatten its surface.
6. Place the tray in the oven and bake the bread for 45 to 55 minutes until the crust is nicely browned.
7. After removing the bread from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes.
The bread remains fresh at room temperature for 3 days if stored in a plastic bag. If you store it in the freezer, it can be kept to 3 months. However, chances are you will not be able to resist the smell of freshly baked bread and it will disappear in a few hours!