Vets agree that there are some foods that should not be given to cats, as they can have very harmful effects on their bodies. Unfortunately, we humans tend to spoil our pets with delicious food for humans that are poisonous to them.
Chocolate, for example, contains a substance called theobromine, which is toxic to cats. Theobromine is a stimulant that affects the central nervous system and the cardiovascular system.
Cats digest theobromine more slowly than humans and it is very toxic to them.
Theobromine toxicity in cats can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity and palpitations. In rarer cases, it can also cause muscle tremors or heart failure and even death of the cat.
Both grapes and raisins, even in small amounts, can be extremely toxic to cats, causing kidney failure. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, losing weight, loss of appetite and reduced urine production. If your cat has eaten grapes or raisins, consult a professional immediately.
Raw bones can also be very dangerous for cats, as they can damage the intestinal and digestive tract. Too much fat is also harmful to cats.
Cats should never be given onions and garlic, and too much milk does not do them good either.
Salty, spice-rich foods, as well as raw rice and other cereals and alcoholic drinks are especially dangerous for cats.
Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, disorientation, breathing problems and coma. Methylxanthine, caffeine-containing drinks, raw pasta or coffee should not be given to cats either.